ABBA 2009 releases in chronological order
2009 brought new English language songs from Andersson-Ulvaeus , the English language in concert version of Kristina and the release of the Albert Hall Concert of Chess.
ABBA-SHM series, Japan 8 individual CD’s, January 21, 2009
Ring Ring, Waterloo, ABBA, Arrival, ABBA - The Album, Voulez-Vous, Super Trouper, The Visitors on Super High Material CD in replica miniature LP sleeves. These can played on regular CD players.
Original Soundtrack- MAMMA MIA! THE MOVIE SOUNDTRACK Deluxe Edition CD/DVD Japan January 28, 2009
Behind The Music
Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! music video
Includes the standard movie soundtrack and bonus DVD but not the actual movie
ABBA-Classic ABBA, Universal , UK CD February 16, 2009
This is rerelease of 1999 compilation with a new cover. The new cover features photograph of the group from 1975 Greatest Hits photo sessions.
1. Thank You For The Music
2. The Winner Takes It All
4. One Of Us
6. The Day Before You Came
8. So Long
9. Why Did It Have To Be Me
10. Ring Ring
11. The Way Old Friends Do
12. Slipping Through My Fingers
13. Hasta Mañana
14. Our Last Summer
15. My Love, My Life
16. If It Wasn't For The Nights
17. People Need Love
18. Happy New Year
Faryl Smith-Faryl, Universal PID 838748 , British CD March 9, 2009
The debut album of this 13 year old classical music singer, who was made famous by her appearance on Britain's Got Talent. It features her take on ABBA's "The Way Old Friends Do". The lyrics have been supposedly changed by Björn, to make them appropriate for a 13 year old.
2.The River of Light (Blue Danube)
5.A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square
6.Mother of God, Here I Stand
10.How Can I Keep From Singing
12.The Way Old Friends Do
13.Danny Boy (Bonus Track)
The Airwaves- Hey You Ring Me Tonight RS1024 Riverside 2009, CD single, March 11, 2009
This is a 3 track CD with the songs -Hey You Ring Me Tonight, Jealousy, and Like Only yesterday.
The Airwaves are a Swedish singing group. The main track -“Hey You Ring Me Tonight “ is a ABBA tribute song written by Clive Jones of the British group Black Widow.
Original cast album- 10th Anniversary Special Edition Original Cast Recording Mamma Mia! CD April 6, 2009
A special repackage CD of the musical’s London cast album originally released in 1999 that includes standard track listing plus the bonus tracks first included in 2004.
1. Overture / Prologue
2. Honey Honey
3. Money, Money, Money
4. Thank You For The Music
5. Mamma Mia
7. Dancing Queen
8. Lay All Your Love On Me
9. Super Trouper
10. Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!
11. The Name Of The Game
14. Under Attack
15. One Of Us
17. Does Your Mother Know
18. Knowing Me, Knowing You
19. Our Last Summer
20. Slipping Through My Fingers
21. Winner Takes It All
22. Take A Chance On Me
23. I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do
24. I Have A Dream
Finale bonus tracks
25: Mamma Mia
26. Dancing Queen
Elisabeth Andreassen - SPELLEMANN, Grappa GRCD4287, Norwegian April 20, 2009 CD
This is a all new Norwegian release by the singer also known as Bettan that includes covers of three Benny Andersson songs. "Klinga mina klockor", Det är vi ändå", and "Nu mår jag mycket bättre". The CD also includes a song written by Ted Gardestad. "Gabriellas Sang" is song that can found on a Helen Sjoholm album.
"Så som i himmelen" is a 2004 film (As it is in heaven/) that features Helen Sjoholm . It features "Gabriella's Sang" in it original version.
Klinga mina klockor
Här är gudagott att vara
Sommerfuglen (with Nora Andreassen)
Det är vi ändå (with Sven Nordin)
De nære ting
Du som har mitt hela hjärta
För kärlekens skull
Nu mår jag mycket bättre (with Bjarte Hjelmeland)
Mamma Mia ! : Edition spéciale French Gift Set DVD/CD May 26, 2009
This is A French MM! Le Film gift set. It contains one DVD (Pal 2 audio system, French subtitles and bonus material) as well as a CD with eight of the songs and a small blue bag with a sarong style beach wrap. In French it’s described as “Edition spéciale Trousse de maquillage avec CD de la bande originale + Paréo”.
Various Artists Den Svenska Sommaren (5CD) (Album) UNI-0602527-08239 June 17, 2009
A Swedish box set that has 5 CDs of summer hits, Den Svenska Sommaren,. ABBA related artists include-Tomas Ledin, Ainbusk, Ted Gärdestad, Hootenanny Singers, Helen Sjöholm, Tommy Körberg and Frida.
1. Sommar sommar sommar - Radions Underhållningsorkester 2. Sommaren är kort - Tomas Ledin 3. Turistens klagan - Cornelis Vreeswijk 4. Barfotavisan - Mats Paulson 5. Hav och sand - Lars Berghagen 6. Nocturne (sov på min arm) - Sven-Bertil Taube 7. Maj på Malö - Evert Taube 8. Dans på Brännö brygga - Lasse Dahlquist 9. Att angöra en brygga - The Real Group 10. Himlen är oskyldigt blå - Victoria Tolstoy 11. Allt som jag känner - Tone Norum & Tommy Nilsson 12. Det blå - Sonja Aldén 13. Blomstarteid (den blomstertid nu kommer) - Ainbusk 14. Balladen om Herr Fredrik Åkare och den söta fröken Cecilia Lindh - Anita Lindblom 15. Så skimrande var aldrig havet - Lill Lindfors 16. Ta mig till havet - Peter Lundblad 17. Som stormen river öppet hav - Mikael Rickfors & Susanne Alfvengren 18. Det gåtfulla folket - Olle Adolphson 19. Sjösalavals - Evert Taube 20. Ta av dej skorna - Povel Ramel 21. Oh boy - Peps Persson 22. Ge en sol - Ted Gärdestad 23. Kring de små husen i gränderna vid hamnen - Anita Lindblom 24. Till min syster - Thorstein Bergman 25. Niu ligger have stille - Di Sma Undar Jordi 26. Bedårande sommarvals - Monica Zetterlund 27. Axel Öhman - Lill Lindfors & Svente Thuresson 28. Afton på Solvik - Andrew Walter 29. Ett liv i solen - Frida 30. Lilla vackra Anna - Göran Fristorp 31. Jag tror på sommaren - Mats Olin 32. Blå blå är kärleken - Britt Bergström 33. Brusa högre lilla å - Björn J:son Lindh 34. Blå blå känslor - Tomas Ledin 35. Gröna granna sköna sanna sommar - Lill-Babs 36. Oh boy oh boy oh boy - Lasse Dahlquist 37. Calle Schewens vals - Evert Taube 38. Det var dans bort i vägen - Sven-Ingvars 39. Här är den sköna sommar - Hootenanny Singers 40. Till sommarvind - Carl Anton 41. Come give me love - Helen Sjöholm 42. Menuett på Haga - Cornelis Vreeswijk 43. Fiskarna i haven - Idde Schultz 44. En droppe regn - Niclas Wahlgren 45. Sakta vi gå genom stan - Monica Zetterlund 46. Sol vind och vatten - Ted Gärdestad 47. Oh vilken härlig da' - Jill Johnson 48. Drömmen om Elin - Tommy Körberg 49. Vilken härlig dag - Ewa Roos 50. Ännu glöder solen - Nordman 51. Hela vägen hem - Staffan Hellstrand 52. Visa vid vindens ängar - Mats Paulson 53. Rör vid min själ - Sanna Nielsen 54. Visa vid midsommartid - Dana Dragomir 55. En dag på stranden - Tomas Ledin 56. Dans på Vejby ängar - Hasse Andersson 57. Mitt sommarlov - Anita Hegerland 58. Vals i Furusund - Anderw Walters Kör & Orkester 59. Klöversnoa - Ted Gärdestad 60. Itsy bitsy teenie weenie yellow polka dot bikini - Lill-Babs 61. Sommarkort (en stund på jorden) - Cornelis Vreeswijk 62. Änglamark - Sven-Bertil Taube 63. När skönheten kom till byn - Thorstein Bergman 64. Mälarö kyrka - Åsa Jinder 65. Ett hus på stranden - Shirley Clamp 66. Jag ska fånga en ängel - Ted Gärdestad 67. En kväll i juni - Lars Berghagen 68. Dansar i månens sken - Suzzies Orkester 69. Sommar och sol är det bästa jag vet - Sven-Ingvars 70. Änglahund - Hasse Andersson 71. Dansen på Sunnanö - Hootenanny Singers 72. Hör min samba - Lilla Lindfors 73. Minns du den sommar - Gunnar Wiklund 74. Gotländsk sommarnatt - Ernie Englund 75. Så länge skutan kan gå - Evert Taube
The Rivals-2nd Best To None, Mono Music UNI-MMCDS -133 Swedish CD single /download May 6, 2009
“2nd Best to None” is a new Andersson-Ulvaeus song sung surprisingly effectively by the staff of Benny's Stockholm hotel , the Hotel Rival for use on the hotel website. Yes, the song sounds somewhat derivative, but this is still the most ABBA-esque thing that Benny and Bjorn have recorded in a long time. It's even a little catchy! The stilted English and bland vocals make me think of Ace of Base. Apparently, it seems to be a truism that choruses of Swedish women have a sound quite distinct from that of other nationalities.
Chess in Concert, Internationally released DVD June 16, 2009
A DVD version of the concert basically identical to the 2CD set. I would say buy the DVD rather than the CD if you have to choose. Most of the content on the DVD premiered on PBS TV during pledge week.
Chess-In Concert, International release DVD , June 16, 2009
Released in September 2009 in UK.
Recorded live at Royal Albert Hall, London, May 12-13, 2008
There is also a single CD Highlights version and DVD version which were released both in the United States and Europe. This concert version stars Josh Groban and was taped a full year before it's release. This is yet another reworking of the ever changing Andersson-Rice-Ulvaeus musical.
This time, Tim Rice took the lead on the redo duties. Bjorn and Benny did not get directly involved with this concert ,though perhaps they had a veto, if they did not like the project as a whole. This record is an attempt to issue a fairly complete version of the musical, based generally on the original London staging. Somewhat annoyingly, Tim Rice has once again changed a few lyrics. On the plus side, you get to hear a few of the songs that were written long ago, which had not been available on any recording of CHESS (other then a temporary release on the original version of the Danish Version of Chess) the songs are “Commie newspapers”,” Press conference”, “Global TV fanfare”, “Talking Chess” and “The Interview”. These are not great songs, but it’s still nice to have them. Most of the songs found only on the American Broadway staging did not make it on this recording, but otherwise this concert is really complete Chess score.
The album was recorded live, and as a result many of the performances sound a little shaky. Another problem for me with any re-recording or theatrical staging of Chess is losing out on getting Benny Andersson and the ABBA band play the music as it meant to be played. I would say that if you want the definitive CHESS album it would seem that it is still your best bet to go back to the original 1984 studio album.
Performers include Idina Menzel, Adam Pascal, David Bedella, Kerry Ellis, Clarke Peters, Marti Pellow ; The City of London Philharmonic ; The West End Chorus ; arranged and orchestrated by Anders Eljas ; David Firman, conductor, musical supervisor. Liner notes by Tim Rice and synopsis in container.
Contents Disc one (Act one). Prologue -- The story of chess -- Merano/ What a scene! What a joy? -- Commie newspapers -- Press conference -- Molokov and Anatoly -- Where I want to be -- Difficult and dangerous times -- The arbiter -- Hymn to chess -- The merchandisers -- Global TV fanfare -- Chess game #1 -- The arbiter (reprise) -- Quartet (a model of decorum and tranquility) -- Florence and Molokov -- 1956 - Budapest is rising -- Nobody's side -- Mountain duet -- Chess game #2 -- Florence quits -- Pity the child # 1 -- Embassy lament -- Heaven help my heart -- Anatoly and the press -- Anthem –
Disc two (Act two). Golden Bangkok -- One night in Bangkok -- One more opponent -- You and I -- The Soviet machine -- The interview -- Someone else's story -- The deal (no deal) -- Pity the child #2 -- I know him so well -- Talking chess -- Endgame #1 -- Endgame #2 -- Endgame #3/ Chess game #3 -- You and I (reprise) -- Walter and Florence -- Anthem (reprise).
Various Artists-Highlights from Chess in Concert, Internationally released single CD, June 16, 2009
This CD is an abridged version of the Albert Hall Concert CD, a common practice for Tim Rice productions. In this case cutting the recording to one disc is totally pointless, since much of the reason for the concert was to have a new unabridged definitive version.
1. The Story Of Chess
3. Where I Want To Be
4. The Merchandisers
5. Chess Game #1
6. Quartet (A Model Of Decorum And Tranquility)
7. Nobody's Side
8. Mountain Duet
9. Embassy Lament
10. Heaven Help My Heart
12. Golden Bangkok
13. One Night In Bangkok
14. You And I
15. Someone Else's Story
16. Pity The Child #2
17. I Know Him So Well
18. You And I (reprise)
19. Walter And Florence
20. Anthem (reprise)
BAO-Sommaren du fick, Mono , Swedish single/download June 2009
This record is the Swedish language version of "Story of a Heart", called "Sommaren du fick". This recording can also be found as a bonus track on the Swedish release of the Story of a Heart album. This CD was released as a single in Sweden, the single has two versions of the song.
Ted Gardestad-"Helt Nära Dig - Samlade, Polar Music/Universal Music 06025270733-0, Sweden 8 CD box set July 1, 2009
This box set features Ted’s studio albums, many of which feature production and musicianship by Benny Andersson and Bjorn Ulvaeus.
Benny Andersson Band-Story of a Heart, European CD July 6, 2009 (June 24 in Sweden) Also released in Australia
This is the first English language album to be released by the Benny Anderssons Orkester who are retitled the Benny Andersson Band for the purposes of international release. This CD is mostly a compilation of previously recorded songs ranging back as far as 1987. Nine of the fourteen songs are instrumentals. Four of the songs- “Fait Accompli”, “Our Last Dance”, “You Are My Man”, “ The Stars” feature never before released English language vocal tracks.
The album features one totally new song “Story of a Heart”, which is a Andersson- Ulvaeus song that is more ABBAesque than the usual BAO stuff. I think "Story of a Heart" is good recording if not a great song , though Helen Sjoholm really has voice better suited for musicals than pop recordings.
The English lyrics to "Our Last Dance" and "You Are My man" come off as kind of cliche. It is often hard to do literal translations of songs to another language.
So often the second language version tells a totally different story, but Bjorn went ahead with fairly literal translations.
However, The lyrics to "The Stars" work well, and is this track is my favorite of the new recordings on this CD.
The album was released a couple of days after the band's first appearance in Hampstead, Britain on July 4, 2009.
Track listing with original Swedish title, songwriter(s), track times, year of original release, and lead singer if any…
1. Glasgow Boogie (Andersson) 3.35 2004
2. Trolska [Trolskan] (Andersson) 2.07 1989
3. Story Of A Heart (Andersson-Ulvaeus) 5.08 2009 Lead Vocals-Helen Sjoholm
4. Bed Of Roses [En dans på rosor] (Andersson) 3.04 2004
5. You Are My Man [Du är min man] (Andersson-Ulvaeus) 3.36 2004 Lead Vocals-Helen Sjoholm
6. Circus Finemang (Andersson) 4.18 2001
7. Fait Accompli (Andersson-Ulvaeus) 3.57 2007 Lead Vocals-Tommy Korberg
8. Song From The Second Floor [Sång från andra våningen] (Andersson) 3.46 2001
9. Birthday Waltz For Mona [Födelsedagsvals till Mona] (Andersson-Ulvaeus) 2.23 1987
10. [If This Is] Our Last Dance [Vår sista dans] Andersson) (Andersson-Ulvaeus) 4.46 2001 Lead Vocals-Helen Sjoholm
11. Jehu (Andersson) 3.44 2004
12. Tirolan Schottis [Schottis i Tyrolen] (Andersson) 2.51 2001
13. The Stars [För dig] (Andersson-Ulvaeus) 3.48 2007 Lead Vocals-Helen Sjoholm, Tommy Korberg
14. P.S. (Andersson) 1.01 2001
Bonus track (Sweden only):
15. Sommaren du fick (Swedish vers.- Story Of A Heart] (Andersson-Ulvaeus) 4.27 2009 Lead Vocals-Helen Sjoholm
ABBA- Waterloo: The True Story of ABBA 3 DVD plus book July 13, 2009
Apparently contains previously released ABBA - Music in Review and ABBA/Arrival - The Ultimate Critical Review
This collection includes two retrospective reviews of much-loved Swedish pop sensations ABBA, celebrating the band's musical output through rare archival footage and live-performance clips; including an appearance on THE DICK CAVETT SHOW. Further insight is given through interviews with rock critics and band colleagues such as musician Les Davidson, tribute-band founder Rod Leissle, and publicists John Tobler and Jeff Rose. The collection also features a critical review of, what is widely considered to be, ABBA's first classic album, 1976's ARRIVAL.
ABBA-Les No 1 de ABBA , Universal, French 2CD set, August 31, 2009
A repackaging of ABBA’s Definitive Collection for the French market.
1. People Need Love
2. He Is Your Brother
3. Ring Ring
4. Love Isn't Easy (But It Sure Is Hard Enough)
6. Honey, Honey
7. So Long
8. I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do
10. Mamma Mia
12. Dancing Queen
13. Money, Money, Money
14. Knowing Me, Knowing You
15. The Name Of The Game
16. Take A Chance On Me
18. Summer Night City
20. Does Your Mother Know
3. Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight)
4. I Have A Dream
5. The Winner Takes It All
6. Super Trouper
7. On And On And On
8. Lay All Your Love On Me
9. One Of Us
10. When All Is Said And Done
11. Head Over Heels
12. The Visitors (Crackin' Up)
13. The Day Before You Came
14. Under Attack
15. Thank You For The Music
16. Ring Ring (1974 Remix, single version)
17. Voulez-Vous (Extended Remix, 1979 US promo)
ABBA In Japan – Universal, DVD international release, October 26, 2009
This DVD depicts ABBA’s adventures in Japan in 1978 and 1980. The main section of the release is “ABBA Special”, a television special filmed when the group visited Japan for promotional tour in November 1978. Unlike most specials of this kind the DVD has been resembled from unedited materials meaning that the DVD features more of the actual filmed performances.
The DVD comes with two bonus sections. The package features a illustrated booklet with an essay by Carl Magnus Palm.
ABBA In Japan 2 disc limited edition, Universal, international release, October 26, 2009
The first disc is the same as the one disc version, the second disc features a rare behind the scenes documentary from ABBA’s concert tour in March 1980, as well as some photo galleries. The packaging features illustrated booklet with essay by Carl Magnus Palm. The two disc version features a sticker and three ABBA photo cards.
2. Take A Chance On Me
3. Money, Money, Money (live)
4. SOS (live)
5. That's Me
7. Dancing Queen
10. Summer Night City
11. The Name Of The Game
12. Knowing Me, Knowing You
13. If It Wasn't For The Nights
14. Thank You For The Music (live)
1. Behind The Scenes Documentary 1978 - ABBA In Japan Nov. 1978
2. If It Wasn't For The Nights (Alternate Mix)
Disc 2 (Limited Special Edition)
1. Behind The Scenes Documentary 1980 - ABBA - '80 Concert Tour In Japan
2. Photo Gallery
3. Single And Album Sleeve Gallery
ABBA Gold - Greatest Hits Sound + Vision Clamshell 2 CD + DVD UK, October 26, 2009
This box compiles ABBA Gold, More ABBA Gold and the ABBA gold DVD yet again.
ABBA-Live TV, Brazilian DVD, October 2009
Another unofficial collection of ABBA TV clips. This DVD 5.1 sound, Is ALL REGION (Free), NTSC FORMAT
1. SOS (Disco 1975)
2. Dancing Queen (Disco 1976)
3. Fernando (Musikladen 1976)
4. I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do (Disco 1975)
5. Mamma Mia (Disco 1976)
6. Take A Chance On Me (Star Parade 1978)
7. Chiquitita (Musikladen 1979)
8. Eagle (Star Parade 1978)
9. The Winner Takes It All (Show Express 1980)
10. I Have A Dream (live Wembley 1979)
11. Super Trouper (Show Express 1980)
12. No Hay a Quien Culpar (promotional film)
13. The Day Before You Came (Show Express 1982)
14. Cassandra (Show Express 1982
15. Mamma Mia (Versão clipe) (promotional film)
Dan Daniell- Ich habe einen Traum, Edel, German CD, November 6, 2009
Includes one track (Lieber Gott) with Frida, a remix of track they released in 2003.
1. Ich gehöre nicht Dir
2. Ich will Dich
3. Lieber Gott (Duet with Frida)
4. Schatten oder Licht
5. 1000 an der Zahl
6. Ich will Frieden
7. Ein Traum
9. Licht und Feuer
11. Nur eine Nacht
12. Lady in weiss
13. Licht der Ewigkeit
14. Bonus: Matterhorn (Remix 2009)
Source: ABBA World
Original Soundtrack- MAMMA MIA! Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! More Gift Set, Universal, USA
and BD/CD box sets 10 November 10, 2009
This set includes Original Movie Soundtrack CD and 32-page collectible book. Collectible Gift Set Box with LED Lights & Mamma Mia! Music Soundchip.
Deleted Musical Number: "The Name of the Game"
Feature Commentary with Director Phyllida Lloyd
Disc 2: Bonus Disc
Digital Copy of Mamma Mia! The Movie (Expires 12/31/2009)
The Making of Mamma Mia!
Anatomy of a Musical Number: 'Lay All Your Love on Me'
Becoming a Singer
Behind the Scenes with Amanda
On Location in Greece
A Look Inside Mamma Mia!
"Gimme! Gimme! Gimmie!" Music Video
Bjorn Ulvaeus Cameo
Various Artists-Atlantic Records Time Capsule, Atlantic, American 9 CD/1 DVD/plus a “45” set, November 17, 2009.
This 168 song box set is a rare acknowledgement that ABBA was once part of the Atlantic records stable in the U.S.A. market. ABBA’s American #1 record is included here on Disc 5, Track 11. Can you guess which song that is? Can you dance? Can you Jive?
MAMMA MIA! Two Disc After Party Edition , Universal UK DVD November 23, 2009, Australia 2DVD, December 2, 2009
This is a Special Edition of MM! The Movie Double DVD (this is the “party edition”)
A special edition with lovely bonus material such as a Sky documentary, a red carpet feature, cast interviews and much more has just been released. Very special, very party! Yeah, whatever….
Disc 1 Special Features
Feature commentary with director Phyllida Lloyd
Cameo of Björn Ulvaeus
The making of Mamma Mia!
Music video: 'Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!'
Deleted musical number: 'The Name Of The Game'
Becoming a singer feature
Anatomy of the musical number feature
Inside look of the movie
Sing a long
Disc 2 Bonus Disc
'Mamma Mia! Stage to Screen'
30 Rock episode ‘Mamma Mia’
'The Best Summer of my Life' Cast interviews
'Mamma Mia! - Meeting the stars - Premiere Spectacular'